- Surgical Pathology (biopsies)
The Anatomical Pathology Department at the University Hospital of Bellvitge is responsible for the Anatomic Pathology studies of the souther area of Hospitalet de Llobregat and El Prat de Llobregat.
It offers a full portfolio of services, with studies of biopsies and samples, cytologies and autopsies, along with a wide range of special, immunohistochemistry and molecular techniques. It also performs cytohaematology and flow cytometry techniques in haematology diseases. It takes part in external quality controls with an extremely high score.It is involved in a pilot programme for the implementation of Digital Pathology. Healthcare activity data from 2017 includes 35,543 biopsy and sample studies (55,515 samples and 125,398 paraffin blocks), 33,974 cytologies (19,787 hospital and 14,187 primary care), 56 autopsies, 11,397 molecular techniques, processing 2,640 samples for flow cytometry immunophenotyping.
The department has recently received the ISO 15189 certificate for laboratories. It is certified for Anatomical Pathology Residency training, and has a Cytology School that provides specific training for Anatomical Pathology and Cytology graduate technicians to provide them with skills to work as a cytotechnician.
Head of Service
Head of Section
Direction of the Genetic and Molecular Techniques-Based Tests Program
Technical Person Coordinator
- Automated immunohistochemistry (Catalogue of over 110 primary antibodies)
- Lymphoid neoplasia clonality
- Her2Neu expression-amplification study (Immunohistochemistry, ISH)
- P53 mutation study cKit-PDGFra mutation study Kras mutation study
- Beta-catenin mutation study
- Papillomavirus and polyomavirus detection-typification
- HPV (Hybrid capture 2) screening Uveal melanoma prognosis CNS neoplasia response prognosis-prediction (ISH 1p19q)
- Germ cell tumors (ISH isochromosome 12)
- Familial cancer study Repair genes (Immunohistochemistry MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2)
- Microsatellite instability (Multiplex-PCR-sequencing)
- CNS-PNS tumoral pathology
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Prion diseases
- Nervous tissue bank
- Electron microscopy
- Undifferentiated neoplasm diagnosis
- Renal pathology (glomerulopathies, transplantation)
- Neuromuscular pathology
- Metabolic diseases
- Muscular disease enzyme histochemistry
- Ophthalmic pathology
- Sentinel lymph node study (breast, head and neck, cervix-vulva cancer, melanoma)
- Lymph nodes
- Tumor bank (liquid isopentane freezing, storage –80ºC)
- Construction of Tissue-microarrays of paraffin block samples
- Hepatic, renal, cardiac transplantation pathology
Lines of research
- Gynaecological cancer (Xavier Matias-Guiu, August Vidal, Ester Guerra)
- Breast cancer (Teresa Soler, Anna Petit, Rosario Taco, Isabel Català)
- Chemotherapy resistance and orthopaedic xenografts (Enric Condom)
- Lymphoid and hemotopietic tumors (Fina Climent)
- Cancer of unknown primary (Maria Pané)
- Head and neck diseases (Montserrat Gomà)
- Human molecular genetics (Montse Olivé) Neuro-oncology (Noemí Vidal)
- Neuropathology (Isidre Ferrer)
- Ageing and cancer (Rosa M. Penin)
- Sarcomas (Xavier Sanjuan)
- Piulats JM, Vidal A, García-Rodríguez FJ, Muñoz C, Nadal M, Moutinho C, Martínez-Iniesta M, Mora J, Figueras A, Guinó E, Padullés L, Aytés À, Molleví DG, Puertas S, Martínez-Fernández C, Castillo W, Juliachs M, Moreno V, Muñoz P, Stefanovic M, Pujana MA, Condom E, Esteller M, Germà JR, Capella G, Farré L, Morales A, Viñals F, García-Del-Muro X, Cerón J, Villanueva A. Orthoxenografts of Testicular Germ Cell Tumors Demonstrate Genomic Changes Associated with Cisplatin Resistance and Identify PDMP as a Resensitizing Agent. Clin Cancer Res. 2018 24:3755-3766.
- Losa F, Iglesias L, Pané M, Sanz J, Nieto B, Fusté V, de la Cruz-Merino L, Concha Á, Balañá C, Matías-Guiu X. 2018 consensus statement by the Spanish Society of Pathology and the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology on the diagnosis and treatment of cancer of unknown primary. Clin Transl Oncol. 2018 20:1361-1372.
- Dahl-Halvarsson M, Olivé M, Pokrzywa M, Ejeskär K, Palmer RH, Uv AE, Tajsharghi H. Drosophila model of myosin myopathy rescued by overexpression of a TRIM-protein family member. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 ;115(28):E6566-E6575.
- Digital quantification of KI-67 in breast cancer. Del Rosario Taco Sanchez M, Soler-Monsó T, Petit A, Azcarate J, Lasheras A, Artal C, Gil M, Falo C, Pla MJ, Matias-Guiu X.Virchows Arch. 2018 Nov 21. doi: 10.1007/s00428-018-2481-3
- Bosse T, Nout RA, McAlpine JN, McConechy MK, Britton H, Hussein YR, Gonzalez C, Ganesan R, Steele JC, Harrison BT, Oliva E, Vidal A, Matias-Guiu X, Abu-Rustum NR, Levine DA, Gilks CB, Soslow RA. Molecular Classification of Grade 3 Endometrioid Endometrial Cancers Identifies Distinct Prognostic Subgroups. Am J Surg Pathol. 2018 42:561-568
- The Departmental professors provide education to 4th Year Medicine Graduates. (Subject: (Anatomical pathology) There is a 4-year Training Programme in the Anatomical Pathology Speciality: Total 8 Residents. Two Residents per year.
Master’s degrees and accredited courses
- School of Cytology Course: Theory-practical course lasting 1200 hours that provides skills to work as a cytotechnician, using integration into the Cytodiagnosis Section team as its main tool. Requirements: Anatomical Pathology and Cytology Graduate technicians. No. of students: 6 per year. Period: 11 months, from January to November. HUB residency