The Psychiatry department at the University Hospital of Bellvitge is responsible for caring for adult mental disorders in outpatients, hospitalisation, and emergency care situations.
Apart from its healthcare activity, it is also involved in graduate and post-graduate education, training, and research. In hospitalised situations it deals with acute and severe psychiatric pathologies, such as bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, severe depression, or eating disorders, among others. Outpatients sees patients sent from intra- and extra-hospital circuits, from primary care areas. Cross-consultation sees patients from all hospital departments. There is a doctor on duty 24 hours a day, who acts as a specialist in the A&E Department and also sees the emergencies reaching the hospitalisation floor and the general hospital.
Head of Service
Heads of Section
Head of Nursing Area
Pathological gambling and addictive behaviour without substances
- Diagnostic and therapeutic assessment and progress report (3 visits)
- Group cognitive-behavioural therapy Individual cognitive-behavioural therapy, if required Supplementary therapy based on new technologies (‘serious games’)
- Care for special populations with pathological gambling problems who, given their characteristics, require specifically adapted programmes (according to genre, comorbidity with severe mental disorder, comorbidity with Parkinson’s disease)
- Addiction to video games, the internet, or ITC (information and communication technologies)
- Other behavioural addictions, such as compulsive shopping
- Anorexia nervosa
- Diagnostic assessment
- Individual psychotherapy Group psychotherapy Day hospital Psychopharmalogical treatment Treatment of resistant cases Monitoring
- Bulimia nervosa
- Diagnostic assessment Individual psychotherapy
- Group psychotherapy
- Psychopharmalogical treatment
- Treatment of resistant cases Monitoring
- Morbid obesity:
- Assessment for bariatric surgery
- Assessment for transplantation procedures and for candidates for cross-over transplantation
- Oncology department for the assessment and treatment of mental disorders in cancer patients
- Early detection of alcoholism:
- Assessment of alcohol consumption patterns in patients with medical comorbidity
- Brief intervention based on motivational techniques in patients with alcohol abuse and medical comorbidity, subsequently sending them to specialist resources
- Assessment and monitoring of cases of refractory epilepsy in candidates for surgical treatment
- Assessment and monitoring of cases of chronic and resistant pain in candidates for neuromodulation treatment
Lines of research
- Neuroimaging of mental disorders
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder and compulsive hoarding
- Gambling disorder (pathological gambling) and behavioural addictions (video games, internet, shopping)
- Neurostimulation therapies
- Depressive disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Psychotic disorders and schizophrenia
- The department has two groups that belong to the CIBER networks: one group in CIBERSAM (Network Biomedical Research Centre for Mental Health) and another in CIBEROBN (Network Biomedical Research Centre for Obesity and Nutrition).
- The professionals also form part of the consolidated "Clinical-Biological Psychiatry and Psychology Group" acknowledged by the University and Research Grants Management Agency (AGAUR).
- As a whole, it is established in IDIBELL as the ‘Psychiatry and Mental Health’ research group. As well as the clinical professionals, the group also includes one Miguel Servet researcher from IDIBELL. The group takes part in national and international research networks and is involved in projects arising from national and international tenders.
- Mallorquí-Bagué N, Mestre-Bach G, Lozano-Madrid M, Fernandez-Aranda F, Granero R, Vintró-Alcazaz C, Del Pino-Gutiérrez A, Steward T, Gómez-Peña M, Aymamí N, Mena-Moreno T, Menchón JM, Jiménez-Murcia S. Trait impulsivity and cognitive domains involving impulsivity and compulsivity as predictors of gambling disorder treatment response. Addict Behav. 2018 Dec;87:169-176
- Salvat-Pujol N, Labad J, Urretavizcaya M, de Arriba-Arnau A, Segalàs C, Real E, Ferrer A, Crespo JM, Jiménez-Murcia S, Soriano-Mas C, Menchón JM, Soria V. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity and cognition in major depression: The role of remission status. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017 Feb;76:38-48.
- Menchón JM, van Ameringen M, Dell'Osso B, Denys D, Figee M, Grant JE, Hollander E, Marazziti D, Nicolini H, Pallanti S, Ruck C, Shavitt R, Stein DJ, Andersson E, Bipeta R, Cath DC, Drummond L, Feusner J, Geller DA, Hranov G, Lochner C, Matsunaga H, McCabe RE, Mpavaenda D, Nakamae T, O'Kearney R, Pasquini M, Pérez Rivera R, Poyurovsky M, Real E, do Rosário MC, Soreni N, Swinson RP, Vulink N, Zohar J, Fineberg N. Standards of care for obsessive-compulsive disorder centres. Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract. 2016 Sep;20(3):204-8.
- Albacete A, Bosque C, Custal N, Crespo JM, Gilabert E, Albiach A, Menchón JM, Contreras F. Emotional intelligence in non-psychotic first-degree relatives of people with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2016 Aug;175(1-3):103-108.
- Real E, Subirà M, Alonso P, Segalàs C, Labad J, Orfila C, López-Solà C, Martínez-Zalacaín I, Via E, Cardoner N, Jiménez-Murcia S, Soriano-Mas C, Menchón JM. Brain structural correlates of obsessive-compulsive disorder with and without preceding stressful life events. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2016 Aug;17(5):366-77.
- Fernandez-Aranda F, Jimenez-Murcia S, Santamaría JJ, Giner-Bartolomé C, Mestre-Bach G, Granero R, Sánchez I, Agüera Z, Moussa MH, Magnenat-Thalmann N, Konstantas D, Lam T, Lucas M, Nielsen J, Lems P, Tarrega S, Menchón JM. The Use of Videogames as Complementary Therapeutic Tool for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in Bulimia Nervosa Patients. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2015 Dec;18(12):744-5
- Medicine degree psychiatry (4th year)
- Medicine degree psychology (2nd year)
- Biomedical Science degree Psychobiology (3rd year)
- Dentistry degree
- Psychology Podiatry degree Psychology
- Psychology degree practicum
- Emotional regulation and therapeutic skills in Medicine and Podiatry
Master's degrees and accredited courses
- Coordination of the official inter-university master’s degree ‘Introduction to Research in Mental Health’ at the University of Barcelona.
- Coordination of the subject ‘Physical therapies’ in the official inter-university master’s degree ‘Introduction to Research in Mental Health’ at the University of Barcelona.
- Coordination of the subject ‘Neuroimaging’ in the official inter-university master’s degree ‘Introduction to Research in Mental Health’ at the University of Barcelona.
- Internship for the University Master’s Degree in General Healthcare Psychology.
- Participation in other master’s degrees (Translational Medicine).
- Organisation of 2 seminars each year on ‘Training in Electroconvulsive Therapy’.
Old School of Nursing Building
c/ Feixa Llarga, sn.
08907 L’Hospitalet de Llobregat. Barcelona
Telephone number 93 260 79 22