The fundamental goals of the Endocrinology and Nutrition Department are medical care, education, and research in the specialist field, both comprehensively and in coordination with the other systems of our environment (primary care centres, other hospitals, and the University of Barcelona, among others).
Endocrine and nutritional diseases are extremely widespread in the population, in hospital patients and in outpatients and specialist consultations in the basic health areas. Along these lines, our professionals provide healthcare in all areas and we are a centre of reference for disorders related to the elderly (complex) for over one million inhabitants.
Head of Service
Head of Section
Head of Nursing Area
Coordinator of the Dietetics and Nutrition Unit
Diagnosis and treatment
- Highly complex and technified diabetes mellitus: chronic complications of the disease, use of insulin pumps, application of continuous glucose monitoring, diagnosis of genetic forms, diabetic foot unit.
- Hypothalamic-hypophysis pathology: diagnosis, hormone assessment, comprehensive pre- and post-surgery action in coordination with the Neurosurgery Department, hormone treatment.
- Thyroid cancer: comprehensive pre- and post-surgical management in coordination with the General Surgery Department, coordination of the treatment with radioiodine with the Nuclear Medicine Department, conventional treatment and new drug lines in advanced cases.
- Primary hyperparathyroidism: diagnosis, pre- and post-surgery management, drug treatment.
- Adrenal diseases, both benign and neoplastic. Gonadal disorders with hormonal consequences.
Lines of research
- Cell therapy in diabetes mellitus.
- Islet transplant
- Regenerative medicine in diabetes mellitus
- Pancreatic islet lesion and repair mechanisms
- Chronic complications of diabetes mellitus
- Obesity and insulin resistance
- Obesity, bariatric surgery and type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Intestinal insufficiency and short bowel
- Clinical endocrine pathology
- Use of RGD-Functionalized Sandwich Cultures to Promote Redifferentiation of Human Pancreatic Beta Cells After In Vitro Expansion. Aloy-Reverté C, Moreno-Amador JL, Nacher M, Montanya E, Semino CE TISSUE ENGINEERING - PART A (ISSN/ISBN: 19373341). 24 (5-6) : 394-406 2018
- Metformin extended-release versus immediate-release: an international, randomized, double-blind, head-to-head trial in pharmacotherapy-naïve patients with type 2 diabetes. Aggarwal N, Singla A, Mathieu C, Montanya E, Pfeiffer AFH, Johnsson E, Zhao J, Iqbal N, Bailey C DIABETES, OBESITY AND METABOLISM (ISSN/ISBN: 14628902). 20 (2) : 463-467 2018
- Food addiction and impaired executive functions in women with obesity. Steward T., Mestre-Bach G., Vintró-Alcaraz C., Lozano-Madrid M., Agüera Z., Fernández-Formoso J., Granero R., Jiménez-Murcia S., Vilarrasa N., García-Ruiz-de-Gordejuela A., Veciana de las Heras M., Custal N., Virgili N., López-Urdiales R., Gearhardt A., Menchón J., Soriano-Mas C., Fernández-Aranda F. EUROPEAN EATING DISORDERS REVIEW. (ISSN/ISBN: 10724133). 2018
- Nutritional deficiencies and bone metabolism after endobarrier in obese type 2 patients with diabetes. Vilarrasa N, Fabregat A, Toro S, Gordejuela AG, Casajoana A, Montserrat M, Garrido P, López-Urdiales R, Virgili N, Planas-Vilaseca A, Simó-Servat A, Pujol J EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION (ISSN/ISBN: 09543007). 2018
- Analysis of the characteristics of patients with diabetes mellitus who attend a tertiary hospital emergency department for a hypoglycemic event. Caballero-Corchuelo J, Guerrero-Pérez F, García-Sancho de la Jordana P, Pérez-Maraver M. Endocrinol Diabetes Nutr. 2018 Aug 29. pii: S2530-0164(18)30178-2. doi: 10.1016/j.endinu.2018.06.013. [Epub ahead of print)
UB Bellvitge Campus: Medicine Degree, Endocrine System and Nutrition Diseases
Adjunct Professor and Subject Coordinator: Eduard Montanya Mias
Associate Professor: Carles Villabona Artero, Nuria Virgili Casas and Manuel Pérez Maraver
Our department has a long tradition of training specialists in Endocrinology and Nutrition, and is one of the most active centres in the country.
We have two places accredited each year, for which 8 residents of the speciality normally form part of our team as professionals in training.
We also welcome residents from other centres in Catalonia and outside our region who stay with us to complete their training.
Master's degrees and accredited courses
- Master’s degree in “Bases for the care and education of people with diabetes”
- Accredited course in “Scientific evidence in endocrine and nutritional pathologies”
Outpatient consultations at Bellvitge University Hospital | Module 21
Main Building at Bellvitge University Hospital | Floor 19
c/ Feixa Llarga, sn.
08907 L’Hospitalet de Llobregat. Barcelona
Telephone number 93 260 76 35